Last week’s post – “An Annual Giving Statement That Will Impress and Delight Your Givers”
– stressed the importance of leveraging your church annual giving statement mailing. A couple of dedicated readers and executive pastors sent questions to me after reading the article, expressing some frustration with the cost of following the eBook’s recommendations. They are larger churches. One even outsources their mailings to a professional fulfillment house. The expense to prep and send the personalized mailings via the US Post Office would be considerable.
“Are there affordable options to mailing out giving statements?”, they asked. Absolutely! And here is the suggestion, which is applicable for most any church, regardless of size.
The recommendation would be to move from mailing hard copies, to emailing. There are several advantages to this approach:
- Email is much less expensive, especially for the larger church
- You can insert a video message from the Pastor in the body of the email
- You can include a link to your annual report
- The recipient can print their statement or save it as a PDF for their files
Some Church Management Systems offer the ability for your givers to login and view their statement at anytime – if yours does, then you don’t even need to prepare and link to their giving statement, just provide a link to the account login page. Here is a great example from Gateway Church.
The objectives we are trying to achieve in the body of the cover letter can be accomplished easily enough in the brief email content.
In order for this to work most effectively, you need a robust email database. So step one would be to work at securing as many email addresses as possible before proceeding down this alternative path. It would be time well spent however, as this path will most likely become the primary path in the very near future, rather than the alternative you see it as today.
What has been your most effective solution for giving statement distribution?